Can Dogs Eat Guava? Is Guava Safe For Dogs? Let’s look at the information with all the details!
You must be aware of the love-hate relationship between dogs and fruits. However, some fruits are safe for consumption while some are not. Also, the likeness of the guava fruit is undefinable for humans. But Can Dogs Eat Guava? Is Guava Safe For Dogs? We are here to help you find out!
Can Dogs Eat Guava?
The simple answer to the question Can Dogs Eat Guava is, yes, they can! However, you should only give it in moderation and avoid feeding it with its skin and seeds.
What Is Guava?
Before you ask Can Dogs Eat Guava, let’s know a bit about this fruit. Scientifically guava known as Psidium guajava is an antioxidant-rich exotic fruit just like grapes and acai berries. So, if you see your mutt munching a fresh guava fruit, then don’t worry!
Is Guava Safe For Dogs?
The tropical fruit guava is safe for dogs to eat, but the appropriate way is to serve it in small portions as too much consumption can make your pooch’s stomach upset. Keep in mind that guava seeds have minute traces of cyanide which can be toxic to dogs in very high quantities. Additionally, the skin of guava fruit is rich in sugar, and can’t be digested easily by dogs.
You can offer your pets different types of guavas as well, like apple guava, white guava, pineapple guava, red guava, and Thai guava as well. However, don’t serve guava paste because it’s high in sugar content which is unhealthy for dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Guava? Health Benefits
Guava is rich in vitamins and minerals and offers a substantial nutritional benefit to humans as well as to pets. Some of the beneficial nutrients are:
- Vitamin C: acts as an antioxidant, which fights harmful substances that entered the body and strengthen bodily functions.
- Vitamins B: is good for producing and maintaining neurochemical synthesis. It is good for the brain.
- Iron: it is necessary for the formation of RBCs and the transportation of hemoglobin and oxygen throughout the dog’s body.
- Potassium: helps in regulating the body’s PH, proper functioning of organs, digesting food, and more.
- Vitamin A: it provides the proper functioning of the reproductive system, promoting the healthy increment of cells and immunity.
- Vitamin K: Keeps the bone structure in shape and prevents clot formation.
- Magnesium: it’s an essential mineral proper functioning of organs like the liver, the heart, and the digestive system.
- Fiber: it’s a fibrous fruit, that helps in regulating the bowel movement in dogs’ bodies and improves the digestive tract.
- Sodium: helps in controlling blood pressure and can be used as a supplement to help vitamin deficiencies.
Apart from the mentioned nutrition, guava acquires contains phosphorus, lycopene, calcium, and lycopene. For dogs’ health, these all play a vital role.
How to Feed Guava to Dogs?
- Keep the fruit under fresh water, and remove the rind.
- Now, remove the seeds with the help of a spoon to scoop them out.
- Cut it into small pieces and feed a couple to your furry friend.
Note: If you are feeding your mutt the guava fruit for the first time then serve with one little piece and observe. However, if it goes well then you could give him a couple of pieces next time.
A Few Pointers
Excess of everything is bad not only for humans but for dogs as well!
The tropical fruit guava should only be served to dogs in moderation. If consumed in excess, it can be bad for their health. It can lead to gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, diarrhea, and uncomfortable tummy pains. Also, guava skin is packed with a lot of sugar which can lead to diabetes or being overweight for your pet.
It’s best only when offered small pieces. While guava can be a special treat for your pet, there are factors to consider before adding the fruit to your dog’s diet. Always remove guava seeds and the rind to prevent your pooch from choking hazards.
What Are the Types of Guava Dogs Can Eat?
You can feed all types of guavas except guava paste and any form of sweetened guava yogurt. The different types of guavas which you can offer to your furry friends are:
- Apple guava
- Pineapple guava
- White guava
- Red guava
- Thai guava
What Amount of Guava Dogs Can Eat?
The refreshing treat should make up only 10% of daily calorie intake. Not more than that, also do not give guava treats on a daily basis. You can give this once a week and can include another fruit treat rest of the days.
Can Dogs Eat Guava? Yes, it’s a safe and nutritious treat for your mutt if served in small portions. All the different varieties of guava are safe for dogs’ consumption.
Guava is rich in nutrients filled with vitamins and minerals, a great source of fiber, and more. The fruit is high in sugar, only appropriate in small amounts.
You are free to share this fruit in moderation with your pooch!