Can Dogs Eat Doritos? Is it good for their health? can you give them as a treat on a regular basis? Time to find out!
Doritos are a brand of flavored tortilla chips produced since 1964 by Frito-Lay, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PepsiCo. They come in a variety of flavors, including Nacho Cheese, Cool Ranch, and Spicy Sweet Chili. As humans, we love them, but what about our four-legged friends? Can Dogs Eat Doritos? Let’s find out!
What Is Doritos?
Doritos are a popular snack food, often served as a side dish or appetizer. They are commonly eaten as a snack between meals, or as a party food. Doritos can be served with dips or salsa for an extra flavor boost.
Can Dogs Eat Doritos?
If you are asking Can Dogs Eat Doritos, then the simple answer to this question is – No, dogs should not eat Doritos. Doritos are made from corn, oil, and salt, which are all unhealthy for dogs. The salt and oil can cause digestive upset and other health problems for dogs.
Is Doritos bad for Dogs?
No, Doritos are not bad for dogs. However, they are not good for them either as they are high in fat and salt. They could also cause an upset stomach or other digestive issues. Therefore, it is best to avoid feeding Doritos to your dog.
What Will Happen If Dogs Eat Doritos
If a dog consumes Doritos, it is likely to suffer from gastrointestinal distress, including vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal pain. Eating Doritos may also cause pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas, due to its high-fat content.
Additionally, the artificial ingredients and artificial flavors present in Doritos can be toxic to dogs. Therefore, it is important to keep Doritos away from your pets at all times.
- Dental issues, weakening of gum, and tooth decay.
- Suffer from dehydration as it has high salt content.
- Pancreatitis due to the added flavor
- Heart diseases
- Unhealthy/ excessive weight gain
- Frequent loss of energy will lead to a decline in activity levels.
A Few Health Concerns
Here are the reasons listed below, which clearly show that Doritos are not good for dogs.
- Ingestion of Doritos can have a risk of Sodium Poisoning.
- Dog’s bodily structure is different from human beings, and for them, it’s hard to digest excessive salt. Particularly dogs’ kidneys are unable to process the overwork due to sodium intake, which lends up to causing salt toxicity, hypernatremia, or water deprivation–sodium ion intoxication.
- Corn is also an ingredient included in Doritos chips which is not a healthy fiber. It can potentially cause protein deficiency, heart disease, and other health problems.
- Doritos contain artificial colors/ flavors, which can be allergic to dogs.
- Garlic, onion, chives, and leeks, either in cooked or powdered form, should not be given to dogs as it’s dangerous for them.
- You can monitor the signs if your dog has consumed this dangerous food. They are:
The smell of onion/garlic on the dog’s breath, lethargy. will suffer from anemia, elevated respiratory rate, increased heart rate, vomiting, and reduced appetite.
Some Healthier Alternatives
1. Doggy Trail Mix: This trail mix contains a mix of whole grains, dried fruits, and healthy nuts.
2. Freeze-Dried Fruit: Freeze-dried fruits provide a healthy and tasty snack for your pup.
3. Carrots: Carrots are a tasty and nutritious snack for dogs.
4. Sweet Potato Jerky: Sweet potato jerky is a great source of vitamins and minerals.
5. Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are a great source of protein and healthy fats.
6. Zuke’s Mini Naturals: These mini treats are made with natural ingredients and are a great alternative to Doritos.
7. Apple Chips: Apple chips are a great alternative to Doritos. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
8. Banana Chips: Banana chips are an excellent source of potassium and fiber.
9. Cauliflower Popcorn: Cauliflower popcorn is a great alternative to Doritos. It is low in calories, high in fiber, and packed with vitamins and minerals.
10. Peanut Butter Treats: Peanut butter treats contain protein and healthy fats.
Related Read: Can Dogs Eat Chickpeas | Is Chickpeas Safe for Dogs
Can Dogs Have a Few Pieces of Doritos?
They can have a few pieces of Doritos, but it’s not a healthy option for them.
What Chips are Allowed for Dogs?
Chips without salt and additive are safe for dogs. You can DIY some of them if you want to feed your pooch a chips treat.
Is Doritos Cheese Flavour toxic for dogs?
Most veterinarians recommend avoiding chips made with artificial flavors, preservatives, and other unhealthy ingredients. Some healthier options include plant-based chips made from potatoes, sweet potatoes, or other vegetables. Other options include grain-free chips made from ingredients like chickpeas, lentils, and coconut flour.
Can Dogs Eat Doritos? Yes, they can have it, only one or two pieces. Overconsumption of it can hamper the dog’s digestive tract.